If you have solar panels and winters get snowy, a snow rake is an indispensable tool in your garage.When choosing a rake for solar panels, you should pay attention not only to their type and features, but also to the quality of materials from which the product is made.
Looking for a rake for solar panels? We can help you choose the right snow rake for solar panels. We will tell you about the features and tips on the proper use of rakes for solar panels. Furthermore, we have also collected the best rakes for solar panels and rated them based on customer feedback.
What is a rake for solar panels?
They are a soft, rubberized rake attached to a long telescoping pole that helps you easily and safely reach your roof panels from the ground. The soft head allows you to quickly brush snow off the solar panels without fear of scratching or damaging the surface.
Please note that snow rakes are good if your solar panels are easy to reach from the ground. If you have a very high roof or your solar panels are installed in hard-to-reach places, a snow rake won’t do you much good. If this is your case, you may need to call in the professionals.
In a nutshell
- A snow rake is a useful tool for clearing snow from solar panels quickly and safely.
- Snow rakes are ideal for removing snow from solar panels, roofs, windows, RVs, trailers, semi-trailers, etc.
Best Choice – Avalanche Rake Snow Multi Roof
- Easy snap-together assembly.
- Lightweight 16 ft fiberglass handle in four sections.
- Snap coupler system for easy handle storage.
What types of Snow Rake for Solar Panels are Available and Which One is Right for You?
While choosing a snow rake for solar panels, you will find the following option: the blade is made of polypropylene, and the handle is made of fiberglass or aluminum. The only differences may be in the width of the blade and the length of the telescopic handle.
Best for Low Pitched Roofs
Extreme Max Roof Snow Rake
- Angled blade offers more use in less space and is effective on low-pitched roofs and two-story houses.
- Easy snap-button handle assembly and disassembly
Best Snow Rake with Soft Foam Pad
EVERSPROUT Extendable Roof Rake for Snow Removal
- Exclusive s-shape design for push/pull snow removal action.
- It extends up to 18 feet long, when standing reach up to 24 feet high.
Best Telescoping Snow Roof Rake
True Temper Roof Rake for Snow
- Blade width 24 in, blade height 6 1/2 in, handle length 17 ft.
- Handle type Telescoping, handle material aluminum
Best Rake for Snow with Large Poly Blade
Ohuhu Telescoping Snow Roof Rake
- Twist-n-Lock telescoping pole that easily adjusts to a whopping 21 feet for even greater overhead reach.
- Large Poly Blade: measuring 6*25 inches.
Snow Rakes for Solar Panels – Buying Criteria
Next, we’ll show you what aspects you can use to choose between the many possible snow rakes for solar panels.
Criteria you can use to compare different snow rakes for solar panels include:
In the following paragraphs, we will explain what the individual criteria are.
The snow rake blade is made of polypropylene and the handle is made of fiberglass or aluminum. This type of rake has a telescopic handle that extends in one motion.
Snow rakes for solar panels vary in width from 16″ to 25″ for removing snow, wet leaves, and other debris from the roof.
The wider the blade of the snow rake, the greater the angle of snow capture when clearing solar panels.
When choosing a snow rake, you should pay attention not only to the width of the blade but also to the length of the handle.
The main thing to consider when choosing a rake handle is its length. This is usually between 16 ft and 24 ft .
The longer the handle, the farther the rake will reach the snow or leaves. Such rakes can be effective on low roofs and two-story houses.
Best Brands of Snow Rake for Solar Panels:
- Extreme Max;
Snow Rake for Solar Panels Price:
Snow rakes for solar panels under $250:
- Avalanche Rake Snow Multi Roof.
Snow rakes for solar panels under $100:
- EVERSPROUT Extendable Roof Rake for Snow Removal;
- True Temper Roof Rake for Snow.
Snow rakes for solar panels under $50:
- Extreme Max Roof Snow Rake;
- Ohuhu Telescoping Snow Roof Rake.
Can you brush snow off solar panels?
For ground or pole-mounted solar PV panels or most commercial solar applications, you’re on the ground or a flat surface, so it is safer to remove snow with a soft brush.
Can snow damage solar panels?
Snow will not damage properly installed and maintained solar panels. But you’re bound to run into a couple of problems if snow covers the panels. You’ll likely be left in the dark because they won’t produce any power in that state (or they produce negligible electricity). You may have reason to be more concerned if water seeps into any small holes/weak spots, because it can interfere with the operation of the equipment itself.
How long do solar panels last?
But the solar panels generating that power don’t last forever. The industry standard life span is about 25 to 30 years.